I have been listening to the Quilted Cupcake podcast and got inspired to make some aprons. Thanks, Jean!
I started with Simplicity 3544, which is a re-issued (and resized for modern bodies) set of vintage aprons. It's a great apron and I totally love it except for one minor point: wearing it makes me look like a large, overstuffed chintz armchair. I thought the lines would be slimming, and maybe they would in a different fabric. I will make this one again in a darker fabric without big leaves and grape clusters!
It's a put-on-and-leave-on-all-day apron because of the fussy cross straps and buttons in the back.
Best of all are the deep, capacious pockets in the front.
Next I downloaded a free Susan Branch apron pattern, also very vintage-y, and also with nice lines. I knew right away that it would be too small, so started by adding an inch to the front piece.
A while ago on eBay I found 100-meter rolls of bias tape, and used the pink on this one and the green on the other aprons.
It was still too small and also too short, so I lengthened and widened each pattern piece and tried again.
Finally, apron perfection. I love it except for the lack of pockets. I gave it some thought but decided that pockets would spoil the lines.
All three of these fabrics were from the thrift shop. This black/fruit piece was 9 yards! Thrift shop prices are usually 50 cents to $1 a yard.
Apron fest is not over. I will make the cross-strap one again, some cafe aprons for Emily and a couple more vintage patterns in my collection. Those will definitely need re-drafting, so I wanted to start with modern patterns first.
Free-Motion Quilting Weekend in Portland
6 days ago