Thursday, October 4, 2018

How to get a decent cup of coffee at a cheap motel




The answer is stupefyingly simple:  make it yourself the same way you do at home.  If you make drip.  Although my method would work with french press too, but I haven't tried that for myself.



But wait---there is more to the story.

For decades I wondered why using the coffee makers in cheap motel rooms produced lousy coffee, even when I brought my own coffee from home.  I only speak of cheap motels (not fleabags, but the lower priced chains) because I rarely stay at any other kind.  And when you go upscale there's probably a fantastic coffee bar right there.

My working hypothesis is that motel coffee makers just don't get hot enough to brew the coffee.  Maybe they are less likely to burn the place down, who knows?



So when I saw this adorable electric water-boiler at the thrift store for a couple of bucks, problem solved.  What would you call this?  Not a tea kettle because it does not sing.  Not a teapot because I wouldn't put tea in there with that heating element, even unplugged.  Water-boiler.  Boiler of water.




Coffee filter holder sitting on top of mug.  Nice hot boiling water poured over the grounds.  Delicious coffee just like I make at home every morning of my life.




Of course you have to be willing to drag all of this stuff around.  I'd be willing to do a lot more than this to have my coffee in the morning.


Hey, I like Dunkin Decaf.  I prefer a darker roast, but this is ALWAYS available at the grocery store and dark roast decaf rarely is.

********************

Hope you enjoyed this public service announcement.  I am currently enthralled by a non-vintage machine.  Babylock Evolution, serger and coverstitch combined, biggest splurge of my life.  I had an unexpected windfall and blew much of it on this.  Let me know in the comments if you want to hear about it.  My experience to date is that you are reading my blog for the vintage machines and that's cool with me.

11 comments:

  1. I have 3 sergers, but, don't have a clue how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw a water boiler like that. Love it. Would do anything for decent coffee when traveling. Have to find one of these. Still a vintage machine person except for my long arm. No vintage long arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you write it, I'll enjoy reading it. Vintage machines, new machines, brewing coffee, sewing space organization, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your vintage posts, but I always like informative posts as well and this one certainly qualifies! Never thought about the crummy coffee in the hotel rooms but you must be right. I think the drip system you use also makes a better cup of coffee anyway. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Germany, that's a water cooker! I'd love to hear about the newest machine. Good tools are always worth hearing about (and using).

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you don't have a microwave in the room, this has got to be the way to go, because tea, too. Would LOVE to hear about your modern miracle as I will probably buy a coverstitch at some point. I went modern with my serger and embroidery machine, and expect it will probably be the same with a coverstitch machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same set up including the brand of coffee. Only difference is my teapot is metal. Also, I use it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's an electric kettle. I own .... more than one. All thrifted. I'm playing with a thrifted K cup machine, which I could (in the name of having a real hot cup of coffee in my workroom) fill my own cups for. It was super cheap, but I think at roughly a dollar a cup, I can get my keester up the stairs and into the kitchen. But I'm finishing my free Bluprint binge watch and cannot move!
    Bluprint (the streaming version of Craftsy) has a week long free trial. Yes,you have to give them your credit card (I already sell patterns through them, so in for a penny). The point I'm getting to is: they have a boatload of serger videos, some of which are practically ads for the Evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We called those water boilers "Hot Pots" when I was in college. I had a job at one point that had no on-premises coffee maker (maybe it broke). Anyway, I had a lovely teal single cup dripper that I did the same thing with. I think I heated water in the microwave in a Pfalzgraf creamer (they are pretty big).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect idea! I seriously dislike hotel room coffee (it doesn't get better at higher room rates), and have trained myself to wait until I'm dressed in the morning and can get real coffee somewhere else. My son loves his "real" drip-brewed coffee so much, he carries a rig similar to yours when he goes backpacking, although he just heats his water in a pan over a fire. I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a tea drinker. It's even harder to get decent tea as the water has to boil. I used to carry one of those little electric elements and all sorts of stuff for my tea. But, for home use, I have an electric water kettle. I'm on my second one and I love them. It would take me 20 minutes to make tea, if I boiled the water on the stove. It takes about half that, using the kettle. (still takes me 5 minutes to steep, unless I use something called Builder's Tea.)

    My husband used to be a coffee drinker, but has gotten used to drinking tea with me. I picked up a French press and some coffee, but still haven't used it.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines, so please leave a comment. I will be approving all the posts before they go public. This will weed out all the people who just want to sell you something. Or worse, capture you and use your info for nefarious purposes.