Monday, December 30, 2019

Hilarious Conclusion to 2019






 Before, above and after below.  Keep reading for the story.




Greetings, dear readers.  Read on to find out just WHY you are so dear to me!

If you had holidays to celebrate recently, I hope they were dandy.  My Christmas was fantastic, in no small part because both of my daughters have brought fabulous new people into the family.  One daughter married in October, and her new husband is from a lovely family that has been very welcoming to me.  And he has two small nephews!  Yay, kids!  And my other daughter and her partner bought a house together and the partner has a small daughter. Whoop De Do!  And my niece moved nearby to finish up her degree at UNC on a full free ride.  Pretty impressive, amiright?  And she has two terrific teenagers.  So my holidays were full of parties and activities and family fun.

My chronic fatigue syndrome has been minimal since returning from that awesome vacation to Newfoundland that I keep threatening to tell you about.  I did quite well all the way up to almost the end before collapsing in a little pile of melted dragonpoodle.  I did miss out on a few parties at the end (sorry Patty!).  But I'm springing back and and optimistic about 2020.

But now let me tell you about Alex.  I don't know who Alex is or where he or she is from.  Day before yesterday I received this comment on an old blog post of mine titled Stripping the Paint from a Singer 27.

I believe you are an ignorant American moron and probably the only one person on this planet to do such thing as to destroy that beautiful decals on this gorgeous sewing machine.

Although it appears that English is not Alex's first language, still he or she did a fine job of conveying their opinion.  (I'm using "their" as the gender neutral singular pronoun it deserves to become.)


However I am a bit confused about why Alex thought this machine had "beautiful decals".  I didn't post extensive before pictures of this machine but you can clearly see from this photo that the decals were pretty well trashed.

And what was my reaction to being called an "ignorant American moron"?  Did I weep and wail?  Did it send me into a deep depression?  Spoiler:  NO

I replied to Alex on the blog thusly.

I have no idea how you meant this post to be interpreted but I am choosing to regard this comment as HILARIOUS! And I feel no compulsion to defend myself but in the interest of my readers let me assure you that this model is so common that I have been unable to even give them away.
 
That's quite true btw.   We're talking about a Singer 27 with no motor boss, meaning no hand crank or motor can be attached (at least not easily or simply) that can only be treadled.  I took a similar machine to the 2018 NC TOGA, an annual gathering and swap meet for the vintage-sewing-machine-addicts and nobody wanted the thing.

Anyhow, after thinking things over for a bit I found that I had even more to say to Alex.  So I said it online.

And I'm considering adding "ignorant American moron" to my business cards, Oh, Alex, you brought me so much joy today! I will be laughing all day.

And I did.  And I'm still laughing today.

And this is why you, my dear readers, are so dear to me.  I started this blog in 2009 and this will be my 213st post.  Although my memory is notoriously unreliable (What did I have for breakfast?  Did I even have breakfast?) I have NO memory of a single unpleasant or aggressive or attacking post in all that time.  Maybe there was a minor snipe or two that I have blocked out.

But Alex, I will never forget you!  Too bad your comment was set to "no reply" so I could not email you directly with my response.  I will just have to hope that you look back at my blog to see what I had to say.

Alex, I hope you enjoy being laughed at.  Which is really the only reasonable reaction.

Want to see that repainted Singer 27?  Decals purchased on eBay.






I feel no guilt about stripping and repainting this machine.

Sincerely,
Cheryl, ignorant American moron

15 comments:

  1. You are a hoot, my most ignorant American moronic friend!! You bring me joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Riversong! She's beautiful and her picture here does not do her justice. She's a silvery blue, and functional. She works on quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Moron, that is now a lovely machine. Alex needs to see the green dragon one (and a few others). Once the decals are done, and the original paint is done, why not save the machine and re-paint it? I love colors (hence my lovely blue 'Victor' treadle). Now to find a red machine.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a masterful job restoring (looks like so much fun to use) and a masterful job turning the tables on a terrible comment. I just had to laugh out loud. Thanks for the post and hope you are still smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful Blog, Cheryl - I'll have to follow, now that I know about them. I learned to sew on a machine like that, about a hundred years ago. Happy 2020, too. May the New Year bring you many more days and weeks of ignorant, moronic happiness and good health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny - thanks for the New Year's laugh! AND another chance to drool over one of your glamorous make-overs! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blue machine with the gold decals makes my heart sing! Too beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG. Had to go leave a comment on that post. What the actual eff. As an aside I have a 66 that I am keeping as a repaint project for when I get to it, because there is absolutely no one in the galaxy who would adopt it as is, given that in its current cosmetic state it is a boat anchor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks ok. Seen better seen worse. Your right though they are common.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely job refinishing that machine - your color choice and decals are brilliant! There is no way to have saved the original finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Cheryl, I just love how you dealt with Alex. Your refurbishment of this machine is absolutely delicious! Eleanor Buckle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can vouch for all Americans, we are neither ignorant, nor morons. (there are a few that behave like that)
    So where is Alex from?? Alex, where do you live? Please share with us your story and thoughts?
    It is not nice to come to a blog and just throw down comments and leave.

    I like the new machine. I bet you could find a very happy home for it where it would live out many more decades sewing up a storm.
    Happy New Year dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. I’m so sorry that someone left hate on your blog but I love reading it and you inspire me! I have (from South Africa and then New Zealand) participated in treadle on block exchanges and to date have rescued 5 vintage machines and my local machine dealership is holding onto a new to me vintage machine which I will collect next week. All because of your blog! Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was your repainting of well past their prime machines that made me first look at trying to get a treadle of mine own, but sadly out here, I found a well loved fiddle bottomed Singer for the same (too high) price that a rusted parts missing one would be.

    I still look wistfully at trying to find a hand crank ready model to paint something lovely and cover in glitz.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please can you contact me about a treadle sewing machine that you posted about identifying.. I just purchased one like yours and need information.. Super excited to identify and restore this treadle sewing machine,, the cabinet has Improved on the foot pedal, so not sure if that is also the name of the machine.Leafbyleaf@msn.com
    Debbie House

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines!