Monday, February 3, 2020

Ridiculous/Fabulous Purchase




I go to thrift stores ALL THE TIME.  And although I have been doing this since 1968, these days I claim it is physical therapy.  And  it is true.  In the last six years I have had four major joints replaced:  two knees, a hip, and a shoulder.  For the knees and hips I need to get out and walk every day.  The easiest way for me to do this is while holding on to a shopping cart.  The cart gives me safety and lets me walk with a good upright posture.  I have no idea why walkers require you to bend over.  And don't tell me I have set the walkers to the wrong height, because two different physical therapists set it the way they thought was right.

So to get in a good walk, I just go to a giant grocery store, hardware store, or thrift store.  I only need a hardware run about once a month, and the big grocery store maybe twice.  But there are many big thrift stores around here and they restock with unusual junk treasures every day.  So I go to two or three of them two or three times a week.

I have really slowed down on buying stuff as I try to declutter my house (thanks for the inspiration, Marie Kondo).  But vintage sewing goodies will always tempt me.



Hence my purchase of "Deluxe Clover Portable Dressmaking Utensils".



I spent years hoping to find buttonhole cutters and finally put them on my Amazon wish list.  And this year for Christmas I got one with a replaceable blade.  Havels Ultra Pro II Seam Ripper and Buttonhole Cutter.  As always, link provided for your interest only, I get no kick-back from Amazon.

So of course about a month later I found this dressmaking kit which included two buttonhole cutters.  This is one of the immutable laws of the universe.



15 mm



and 9 mm



and this piece was originally a mystery to me, but as I searched Amazon for my Havel cutter so that I could provide you with the link, I discovered what it is!

It's a keyhole and/or eyelet cutter.



The eyelet cutter had occurred to me, but it does not feel very sharp.  And I still don't understand the slot on the side.  Unless it for those time when you need to cut 30 eyelet holes at a time and as they stack themselves in there and push their way down, you can pull the cut circles out of that slot.

Leave a comment below if you can enlighten me!



 There is also a nice sharp awl.  I probably have half a dozen awls already.



 And a pattern marker.  Have a bunch of those too.



A ring shaped thimble.  Don't think I have one this shape among the dozens I do have.




And a metric tape measure a meter and a half long.

This was only ridiculous as a purchase because of the price.  And it my rule not to post prices of anything here on the blog.  I occasionally break this rule with Amazon stuff just to give you a heads up on whether you want to click and check it out or not bother.   (That Havel cutter set is a bit under $15 at the time I wrote this).

And in case you are wondering if I will use this stuff or merely hoard it, let me assure you that I will proudly hoard it.   And use my brand new Havel cutter with the replaceable blade.

But if I ever decide to go to a dressmaking workshop and up my skills, I will take these with me.  To show how classy I am (pause for laughter).

Although I bought this at a thrift shop, it is an unusual thrift shop staffed by lots of hipsters who know a thing or two about cool vintage stuff and price it accordingly.  (Scrap Exchange, Durham NC. Technically a "creative reuse arts center.)  So it cost about 10x what it would have cost in a regular thrift store. 

* * * * * * * * *

What have you over-paid for recently?  Feel free to share your shame below, with or without prices!

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I have a set of Clover sewing tools very similar to yours, although mine is missing at least two items. Mine does have a small tin of dressmaker pins, which appears to be rusted shut, as I can't open it without breaking the tin. I found mine at an antique mall. Don't remember what I paid, but probably too much! Pictures here (although you'll have to scroll down a little): https://quiltingcrescent.blogspot.com/2016/12/last-vintage-montage-of-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, what a gem. We have several thrift stores in and around Leesburg, Virginia (Northern Virginia) and every time I go I find amazing things I need.
    I do not go anymore, bc I have a problem with having to rescue anything pretty. I mean, I already have a huge house full of boxes of mom and dads treasures. And daddy still has a mountain of treasures. I have paid too much for several things, but then, just think of all of the total bargain steals you got on other stuff. right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm uncertain how you could get to this point in your life and not need a hole punch like that one. Yes, you will have enough bits to need a clean out side access. I guess you are just not a grommet/snapper. Grommeter? Going with that. I'm also uncertain if I deafened my cat by squealing at that hole punch. I keep a grinder wheel in my shop to keep mine murderously sharp.
    Two of the big thrifts closed here, property values being over and above what sane people would pay. Now they will sit empty while the landlords discover that you can ask whatever price you want, but you'll take what people are willing to pay. And around here in Seattle, that empty gap can stretch for years.
    I'm only a little bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that would be a treasure to enjoy with just the box alone, but obviously even more with the treasures you have found inside. I'm sure the trip to the thrift stores are important for mini adventures as well as physical health. Thank you for another newsletter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much overpriced around here, other than some treadles that are worth about $25, but priced at $100 or more because they are old (and in bad condition). Hey, shopping thrift stores is good for you, since all that bending over to look on the bottom shelves, helps keep you limber ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a Japanese sewing video pop up on my feed in You Tube. I didn't watch all of it as there were no subtitles. But she used that style thimble for hand sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://youtu.be/VADvIkrHZzI

    This is the video

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines, so please leave a comment. I will be approving all the posts before they go public. This will weed out all the people who just want to sell you something. Or worse, capture you and use your info for nefarious purposes.