Friday, July 15, 2011

Michael Makes A Pillow





Michael came over for his second sewing lesson today.  First lesson was basic machine orientation and choosing a project.  He decided on a covered throw pillow.  Piping AND a zipper right out of the gate, ambitious AND challenging.  But I firmly believe that the best way to teach anything is to have the student plunge right in to a project they want to do.

Fortunately he didn't want to make a tuxedo.






The phrase "duck to water" springs to mind.  He claims never to have used a sewing machine before.  He figured out how to use features of the sewing machine to solve problems on the fly. Then told me how he did it. 


He bought a pillow form, a zipper and some fabric at Walmart and recycled the piping from an older pillow.

Pretty impressive for a first time project, eh?  He got the whole thing finished up in one afternoon, too.

Let's hear it for Michael!

4 comments:

  1. Lets see, vintage machine, recycling from older items, Good Job Michael. Good teacher, too! I haven't a clue how to put in a zipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your philosophy: best way to teach anything is to have the student plunge right in to a project they want to do.

    When I teach rug hooking, they can start on whatever they want. I think if they start on what they want, they are more likely to stick with it vs me forcing some design on them they have no interest in.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines!