Friday, June 12, 2020

The Great Awokening


I have spent some time wondering what to say about what is going on in the country right now.  It doesn't seem right just to pretend that nothing is going on.  Even on a blog that is mostly about vintage sewing machines.

On the other hand, no one in their right mind should be interested in the opinions of an old white woman about race or race relations.  I do have opinions, tons of them, many quite vehement.  If my health permitted I would be marching in the streets.  But it doesn't, so I'm not.  I marched in my youth when our generation stopped a war.

There are people who have been aware for decades of the true state of this country.  They didn't learn this in school.  Democracy is a full contact sport and it takes work and effort to educate yourself if you are not a victim of the system.  If you are, the education forces itself upon you.

There are people who are just now trying to puzzle out how things got this bad* and what to do about it.  I honor and respect them.  Please cut them a break if they say quite stupid things while they are on their journey.
*hint:  things have always been this bad, or worse.  See previous comment about what we did not learn in school.

There are other people who I will not honor by even discussing their opinions and attitudes.

And there are the companies.....  And so, so many of them are jumping on the bandwagon and issuing public statements left and right.  There is hypocrisy so rank that I can smell it through my computer screen. 

And I'm sure there are companies whose leadership is quite sincere. 

Instead of talking about race, I'm going to tell a story that happened on my own journey. 
Spoiler:  I am just as stupid as most human beings.

Once upon a time I had a great job that I loved.  Somebody retired and there was an opening in our department.  The boss asked three of us to review our professional contacts and make some recommendations for people who might be approached to see if they would be interested in applying.

So Catherine*, Wanda* and I sat down together with notepads and started brainstorming. 
*not their real names

We came up with a nice list of ten terrific candidates.

Then Catherine said "Good grief* do you see what we have done?"
*not what she really said, but this is a cursing-free blog

Confused and bewildered, Wanda and I said "What?"

Catherine said:  "There are only women on this list."

I have never forgotten that lesson in unconscious bias. 


2 comments:

  1. hahaha of course.

    I am suffering from crisis fatigue.
    I just cannot say any more about it - this past few weeks has rendered me almost speechless - going in all directions too :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is strange seeing so many of the white race poking up their heads and saying, wtf? Comforting to see such a great momentum, maybe we can make some real progress after years of stagnation. Thank you for your fight back then.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines!