Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Sewing Machine Maintenance on Repair Cafe TV


Exciting announcement:  I will be demonstrating basic sewing machine maintenance on August 3, 2020 on Repair Cafe TV.  You can see the description here

If you want to watch it live (and ask questions or offer helpful suggestions) you will need to register in advance for the Zoom session.  Register here.

Don't worry, your photo or video will NOT show up on Zoom for the world to see UNLESS you want to show us your sewing machine.  Both you and the host have to turn your video on for this to happen.

If you don't catch it live, it will be posted later to YouTube and I will come back and add a link then.



I began volunteering at Repair Cafe back in November 2019, repairing sewing machines primarily and occasionally mending stuff if there were no sewing machines to work on.  Repair Cafe brings together people who have broken stuff with volunteers who will do their best to show them how to fix it.  There is no charge for our repair services although you can make a donation if you like.

We're a local branch of an international movement with over 2,000 local chapters.  Normally we meet once a month, alternating between the Cary Senior Center and Scrap Exchange in Durham.  The pandemic shut all that down and now we have taken it online through Repair Cafe TV on Zoom. 

The pandemic has also stimulated a lot of interest in sewing, and our hope is that this workshop will enable and embolden people to dig Grannie's machine out of the closet or attic and get it up and running again.  With vintage machines often all they need is a good cleaning and oiling and I will be showing you how to do it.

My plan is to demonstrate maintenance on three types of machines:
  • a modern one with computerized functions
  • a vintage multi-stitch machine with gears
  • a vintage straight-stitch only machine
After the demonstration there will be a question and answer session.  There's a chat feature where you can type a question, and also provide answers to other people's questions.

I'm fairly new to Zoom myself and have found it easy to use.  So why not join us on August 3 and have some fun.

Because if you are a reader of this blog, you already know how much fun sewing machines are!


3 comments:

  1. This sounds terrific! I will be on vacation with no internet available then. I hope it gets on Youtube so I can watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will keep an eye out. Although I have decent internet access, Zoom has been problematic here at sea level. Will do my level best to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I missed it, since I'm so behind on blog reading. Hope it went well.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines!