Sunday, August 2, 2020

Maintenance Workshop August 3, 7:30 pm EST


Just a quick reminder that I will be giving an online sewing machine maintenance workshop on Monday, August 3, 2020 at 7:30 pm EST.

This is one in a series of workshops offered by Repair Cafe, an international association of local volunteer groups devoted to helping you fix your broken stuff.

Repair Cafe TV was invented when we needed to find a way to do this during a global pandemic.  Workshops are offered online using Zoom.  To attend the live session you will need to register in advance which you can do here.

I will give a brief run-through of some basic maintenance practices for three different types of machines (computerized, vintage multi-stitch, and antique Singer straight stitcher).  Then I will take a look (through the wonders of Zoom) at a Repair Cafe colleague's vintage Kenmore that has been sitting in a closet for decades.  We will finish up by answering some questions submitted by the audience.

If you miss the live performance, I am told it will appear later on YouTube and I'll let you known when that happens.

I have spent the past week trying to pare it down to a reasonable time frame (mini-series, anyone?)  Heartfelt thanks to Missie and Linda who participated in Zoom practice sessions.  And Linda's husband who made his own unique suggestions and then demanded credit as a consultant and a percentage of the fees I will earn from this. 

Joke's on you, Phil.  The workshop is totally free and my status as "Repair Cafe VOLUNTEER" tells you everything you need to know about my earnings.

And really, Phil, "drop the whole thing in a bucket of oil" is just NOT helpful.

8 comments:

  1. Ha! You never know, sometimes dropping the whole thing in a bucket of oil might just work! Don't think I can catch this live, so will eagerly wait for the replay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad technique for a frozen old treadle, but at the time we were discussing machines with computer chips!

      Delete
  2. Definitely interested in seeing this. But I’m not sure I’ll be able to catch the live broadcast on zoom. Please inform us if and when you find out when it will be a YouTube. Thanks so much for helping us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very enjoyable online workshop - thanks, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so disappointed that I just found your blog the day AFTER this event! I followed the link from your CL ad. I am two counties away and would love to pick your brain a bit about rewiring vs new or vintage motors. I just got back into sewing after 30 years to make Covid masks, and somehow slid sideways into vintage machines. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was really cool to put a face and a voice to you after all this time. I am glad that it's going up on YouTube (not all the sewing pals use FB anymore). I am counting the things that are now online because of the pandemic as blessings, and between this and the Costume College going online for some panels and events I am the luckiest girl in the world!
    Stepanie
    who is pretty sure you're the person who advised on putting vintage machines on switchable power strips with a 'hey you I'm on' lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, I caught your 'maintenance' on Repair Cafe while it was live. Thank you for a lovely presentation. You shared so many great ideas to keep sewing machines working well.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines!