Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Workshop Up On YouTube


The Repair Cafe TV workshop on sewing machine maintenance is now up on YouTube.


That went up very quickly.  And it starts when the good stuff starts, without the preliminary ironing-out of technical issues.

Don, the director of Repair Cafe NC has been forwarding to me some lovely feedback emails from the viewers.  Thanks for all of the appreciation you have sent to Don, Beccah, and me.

I taught college and university students over a period of 40 years, more than 20 of those at UNC-Chapel Hill, where some students waited until their senior year to get their science requirement out of the way.  And then made the mistake of thinking "Geography--how hard could that be?"

Geography 110:  Earth systems science.  Weather and climate.  Surface geology and hydrology.  Characteristics of biomes, where they are and why they are there.  Basically how the entire land surface of the planet works in one semester.  A rude shock to the students who thought that the final exam would cover such penetrating geographic issues as "where is the Amazon River?"

So you can imagine my delight with the feedback the workshop viewers have sent our way after the feedback I got from students.

I often taught in a room with 250 students.  With that many students you get the full range of opinions.  My favorite semester produced that range.  Three of the students said that I was the best professor they had ever had, and one recommended that I be given a teaching award.  Three of them said that I was the worst professor that they had ever had, and one recommended that I be fired immediately.

I'm still laughing.

Thanks, everyone.  I started this blog not too long after I retired, and before I started restoring sewing machines.  I found my passion and have made many friends this way, both in-person friends and on-line friends, who I jokingly refer to as my imaginary friends.  And I really appreciate all of you.

And this is the end of the chit chat about the workshop. 

Coming soon: 
  • more photos of vintage machines that I will be selling on CraigsList. 
  • A post on presser feet that has been in the works for literally a year and a half (Barbara and I got together a couple of times to photograph and discuss our hoards--she's still wondering what has happened to that post).
  • the definitive DragonPoodle review of Singer buttonholers.
  • whatever other shiny (but sewing-machine related) object or topic that I cross paths with
Do you have any requests for new topics?  Leave your suggestions in the comments below.




2 comments:

  1. Oh this is much better! I started watching the Facebook replay and the audio and video were way out of sync so I decided to try later. Seems to be fine now on Youtube.

    Love your 'favorite semester' story. That is a hoot! I'm a retired science professional as of 1/2/2020, and bet I would have been one of your fans. Most of my earth science classes were great, both undergrad and grad school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved the youtube session on Pinterest so that I can watch it later. My father in law was a physics prof. for over 30 years.

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines, so please leave a comment. I will be approving all the posts before they go public. This will weed out all the people who just want to sell you something. Or worse, capture you and use your info for nefarious purposes.