Sunday, May 19, 2024

Singer 15-91. For sale at NC TOGA. a good one

 

I've got more than one Singer 15-91 for sale.  This one is a peach.

NC TOGA is coming up in June.  If you don't know what that is I'll be describing it in a future post.  One of the things it is, is a swap meet.  I have some machines for sale. 

This is a straight stitch machine with a "potted" motor.  Not treadle-able.  It takes class 15 bobbins.


 

The little "pot" on the back houses the motor.  This machine is direct drive, which is why it can't be treadled, unlike a belt driven machine where all you have to do is take the motor off.  Notice also that someone removed it from a cabinet by unscrewing the hinges.  Not the best thing to do, but handy if you need the hinges.

 

 

As you can see the decals are lovely.  Not perfect but very nice.  This style is called "filigree".

 

You can also see here  that although glossy, there are some issues with the finish on the bed.  A good polish and some wax might or might not improve this.  Probably would, but no promises on that.


 

The paint is chipped on the hand wheel and in places on the edges.  I have used a black Sharpie paint pen (not a regular Sharpie) in the past on other machines to minimize the appearance of chips.



The configuration of the motor controller (aka foot pedal) plus the presence of the hinges tells us that this machine was removed from a cabinet.  This particular controller can be used either as a knee pedal or a foot pedal.  The projecting knee pedal swings out of the way and towards the power cord to turn it into  a foot pedal.

I did not disassemble the foot pedal but my impression is that the discoloration is rust rather than the result of electrical scorching.  I did peer inside and the discoloration does not appear to be near any electrical parts.  

No case and no additional accessories come with this machine.  A Singer 15 can stand alone on a table without a case beneath it.  This is not true of all Singer models.

I did sew with it and it is very smooth and makes an excellent stitch.  And without any maintenance on my part.

* * * * * * * * * * 

Here's how this works:  I  create a blog post for each machine and describe what I know about it in detail, pros and cons.  Once I have all the machines up on this blog I will post a price list at the NC TOGA Facebook page.  If you are attending the TOGA and are seriously interested let me know and I will bring it.  "Seriously interested" means that you plan to buy it IF you like what you see in person.  Absolutely NO obligation in advance and I won't take any money in advance.  

Cash or PayPal.  I don't use any other payment apps.  Hey, I'm an old lady.  Can't be learning new apps all the time.

Once the price list is up you can call dibs on any machine and I will make sure you get to see it and decide if you want it before anyone else can buy it.  And

This approach has worked very well in the past.  Just please don't ask me to haul 40+ pounds of cast iron if all you want to do is ogle it.  Serious interest only please.

Some of these machines will have been serviced and some will not so read the descriptions carefully.  It is not my usual practice to sell machines that I have not serviced first.  But I really need to downsize the herd and TOGA is almost here.  Many TOGAteers are experienced antique sewing machine mechanics themselves.  They will also be glad to provide advice to others about whether a machine is a good choice for a newbie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines!