Sunday, May 19, 2024

Singer 301 Longbed, for sale at NC TOGA



NC TOGA is coming up in June.  If you don't know what that is I'll be describing it in a future post.  One of the things it is, is a swap meet.  I have some machines for sale. 

Here's a mocha Singer 301 longbed.  It's a straight stitch slant shank machine.  I tested this one some time ago and the test samples show that it was working properly.  I'm not going to have time to re-test all the machines I might bring so it will probably need to be oiled.  

 

 

It comes in a trapezoid case in decent shape.  Take a close look at the stitching and you'll see some of the stitches are broken.  This is not affecting the strength of the case.



The case has clamps inside to hold the motor controller (aka foot pedal) and vintage Singer oiler (included but I wouldn't use it without replacing the old oil!).

 


This straight stitch machine CAN do additional stitches with the addition of a Singer slant shank zigzag attachment, which is included in this sale.  As is a Singer slant shank buttonholer.  Both come with manuals.  And although I don't have an original manual for this sewing machine I can email the buyer a PDF copy.


 

The zigzagger has cams for four different stitches: zigzag, blind hem, and two decorative stitches.



It also comes with a assortment of presser feet and three class 301 bobbins.  These are the same bobbins the Featherweight uses.  Two bobbins are shown on the photo, the third one is in the machine.

 


I love the 301s and have one in my own permanent collection.  And the fact that the machine has a handle on the top means that you don't even need to put it in the case to carry it around. The lightweight aluminum 301 is sometimes called the Featherweight's big sister.  I'm told it has a growing popularity among quilters for its portability. 

* * * * * * * * * * 

Here's how this works:  I  create a blog post for each machine and describe what I know about it in detail, pros and cons.  Once I have all the machines up on this blog I will post a price list at the NC TOGA Facebook page.  If you are attending the TOGA and are seriously interested let me know and I will bring it.  "Seriously interested" means that you plan to buy it IF you like what you see in person.  Absolutely NO obligation in advance and I won't take any money in advance.  

Cash or PayPal.  I don't use any other payment apps.  Hey, I'm an old lady.  Can't be learning new apps all the time.

Once the price list is up you can call dibs on any machine and I will make sure you get to see it and decide if you want it before anyone else can buy it.  And

This approach has worked very well in the past.  Just please don't ask me to haul 40+ pounds of cast iron if all you want to do is ogle it.  Serious interest only please.

Some of these machines will have been serviced and some will not so read the descriptions carefully.  It is not my usual practice to sell machines that I have not serviced first.  But I really need to downsize the herd and TOGA is almost here.  Many TOGAteers are experienced antique sewing machine mechanics themselves.  They will also be glad to provide advice to others about whether a machine is a good choice for a newbie. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from all of you who want to talk about sewing and sewing machines!